Thursday, September 24, 2020 CPC Quick Notes
Praying for Our Community…
- Those who mourn the loss of loved ones.
- Those recovering surgery and those awaiting surgery.
- Lois Krook, Syd Gray, Peggy Marshall, Sharon, Deloris Reich, Gail Schaar, Dave & Laurie Marshall, Ken, Joan Hubbard, Sarah, Pat Jorstad, Max, Sharon Bilyeu
- Prayers for Norane Stejskal and family for the loss of her brother, Dick Welte.
- We pray for teachers, students and parents as they begin the new school year.
- Prayers for those in nursing homes and assisted livings that are separated from their families.
- Our CPC congregation as we look to the future.
- Those with cancer, dementia, Alzheimer’s, and other illness
- Those traveling
- Families & individuals managing mental health and addiction
- Our country
- Victims and families of violence & racism
- May healing of the world begin, and may it begin with us
- We pray for our nurses, doctors, essential workers, all of those on the front lines and those ill as our country and the world struggles with the Covid-19 virus.
- Pray for the CPC Pastor Nominating Committee, Keith Anderson, Mike Johnson, Bill Marshall, Katie Benes, Judy Pittack, Deb Kee, Lisa Tabbert and Susie Loeffler
Join us for virtual worship this Sunday via Facebook!
The next Outdoor Worship is at 10am in the parking lot on Sunday, October 4! Remember to bring a lawn chair, mask and elements for communion. World Communion Day is Sunday, October 4 as well.
The Worship Service will be on Facebook Sunday morning.
It will also be available to view on YouTube (a link will be emailed.)
The service will also air on ICTV.
Lay Pastor Mary will be leading worship this week Sunday, September 27 as well as Sunday, October 4 which is World Communion Day.
- The Peace and Social Justice Committee will be sending the donations from the offering on Sunday, October 4 to the Coat Rack project. The project, which provides winter wear for children and youth has a new rule this year. Due to Covid-19 only new items will be distributed. You may, then, donate in one of three ways. You may bring new items with tags, cash donations or handmade items such as mittens hats and scarves.
Please remember to give generously on October 4. Look for more information online.
- There will now be a sign in sheet for anyone who enters CPC. We ask you do not enter by the way of the Pokegama side door. All traffic needs to enter through the main doors so we can keep track as to who enters the building in the event a covid-19 positive case is tracked to CPC. Please sign in at all times.
We appreciate your cooperation as we take implement these safety precautions.
- CPC has created a SMART team in researching and planning the next steps in reopening. There are many items to be addressed. You can access this link https://mn.gov/deed/assets/worship-guidance-ACC_tcm1045-433301.pdf to see all of the items. Your CPC Smart team members are Pastor Cheryl, Lay Pastor Mary, Elder Dennis Anderson, Elder Bryon Fraser, Elder Cathy Cleary, Deb Kee and Jennifer Fasteland.
• A CPC Zoom Coffee Hour is set up for each Sunday at 10:30am. All you have to do is clink on the link and you’ll be able to have coffee and a chat with your friends virtually! After you click the link for the first time you may have to install Zoom.
A Wednesday evening fellowship Zoom time will be set up in mid- October. A link will be emailed at that time.
- Midday Prayer Services is each Wednesday via Facebook & YouTube with Pastor Cheryl. (There will not be Midday Prayer on Wednesday, Sep 30 or Wednesday, Oct 7)
Outdoor Worship will continue the 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month, weather permitting.
Safety is of the utmost importance. The following practices must be followed in order to continue outdoor worship:
1. Wearing masks is required for all participants.
2. You are encouraged to bring your own lawn chairs and ushers will help you to sit socially distant from those not in your household. (Metal folding chairs are available for those who do not bring chairs.)
3. Spaces will be marked and you must stay within those spaces.
4. There will be 6 ushers directing people and monitoring masks/social distancing.
5. There will be unison speaking and a soloist can now sing during an anthem.
6. Greet each other with a wave. (No hugging, shaking hands or fist bumps)
7. A bulletin will be emailed out prior to the service. Please print your own to bring or pull it up on your phone or tablet. There will not be bulletins to pass out.
8. There will be an offering using the “bat net” to maintain social distance. If you’ve never seen the bat net, here’s your chance. 😉
9. On the first Sunday of the month please bring your own elements for communion. Individually packaged elements will be offered if you forget.
10. No refreshments following the worship service. If you stay after worship to visit with one another you must continue to wear a mask and remain socially distant.
11. If there is poor weather, the service will be cancelled and rescheduled for the next Sunday.
12. Future parking lot worship services will be decided by the volunteer committee based on compliance with these practices
There will still be an indoor service taped and posted to Facebook and YouTube on Sunday mornings. It will also continue to air on ICTV.
All of this is subject to change based on the Covid-19 infection rate.
- The Tuesday Bible Study is now being held on zoom at 9:30am each Tuesday.
- Youth Group will be meeting via Zoom beginning September 30. Due to the schools going hybrid, increase in Covid-19 cases and some of the youth already doing distance learning, this is the safest and most logical choice for the time being. Next week the youth will be having an at home scavenger hunt via zoom. Whoever ends up with the most points will get a DQ gift card in the mail!
- We now have online giving! Log on at www.communitypresbyterianchurch.com. You will see a Give Now option on the homepage, as well as on the Be Involved/Stewardship page. There is also QR code, that may show up in our bulletin insert in the coming days.
- If you need assistance with food, the PSJC would like to remind you to reach out to Second Harvest. Also, Second Harvest is in need of volunteers.
- The deadline for the October Chimes is TODAY.
- Stewardship letters were mailed two weeks ago. If you need an electronic giving form those were emailed and/or there are forms printed and available on the sign-in table at CPC. Contact Jennifer if you need a form mailed to you.
If you feel inspired, include an affirmation, hope, blessing or statement of gratitude on a note inside your envelope which will be shared at a later date.
- Pastor Cheryl will be on vacation the week of September 27.
Jennifer will be out of the office the first week of October but Pastor Cheryl will be in the church on October 6, 7 & 8.
- Bonnie Henriksen will be leading three different Community Education classes starting in October. Each of the classes will be offered via Zoom so can be attended safely from the comfort of participants' homes. Interested participants can register by contacting www.getlearning.org. or by calling 218-327-5730. The classes are:
Life Outside the Lines...after losing your spouse
This series of six conversations focuses on embracing changes to help a person thrive after losing a partner or spouse. We will explore new perspectives for how to live independently. Conversations spark insights and provide tools for participants to move forward.
Wednesdays, October 7-November 11, 10:30 a.m. -12:00 noon Offered via Zoom. Cost: $125
Compelling Conversations for Vital Aging
Does Covid have you considering retirement earlier than you expected? Are you ready to start a new chapter of life? Explore ways to transition from the work grind into a lifestyle you will enjoy! Identify choices and practices to fill the coming years with good health, meaning and satisfaction. Develop strategies for happiness-boosting habits, community engagement, legacy-building and living on purpose. Note: These conversations are about your choices for living well NOT financial planning for retirement!!!
Wednesdays, October 21-November 18, 6:30-8:00 p.m. Offered via Zoom.
Upping Your Focus, Happiness & Wellbeing
In the busy-ness and chaos of life are you feeling more like a "human doing" than a "human being?" Increase your happiness quotient with activities to improve focus and peace of mind. Learn how science supports mindfulness for a healthy, fulfilling life. This 3-session class will be taught by Bonnie and coaching friend, Irene Kelly via Zoom. You can catch it over lunch!
Thursdays, October 22-November 5, 12:00 noon-1:15 p.m. Cost: $99.00
God’s Blessings to each of you!
Cheryl, Mary, Jennifer, Darcy, Mary Jo and Vangie